Journey through infertility ain’t easy nor cheap. Still, God is good…
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Ganirelix $hocker

Ganirelix was not in my original protocol.  But trust my overachieving ovaries to mess up the plan…

So, I got my receipt for the 3 syringes of Ganirelix from Todd’s in the mail today.

$322+

Grrrrr….

I should have expected it to be expensive for after all, what infertility med does not cost an arm (and a leg?). I didn’t expect it to be that expensive because before I gave my credit card info I asked nurse H*l*n about how much it costs. And she said about $20… I remember thinking… hmmm, not too bad… not bad at all.

Arrrgghh!!! And to think that I actually wasted 1 syringe, too, while we were in Colorado Springs and I was in a hurry to inject myself  because I was about an hour late already. (Could have used the $ to go check out more restaurants :) )

Now maybe, I did not hear her right? Maybe she said $120 and I just heard it wrong??? Maybe. Maybe not.

I googled the Ganirelix price and it showed $80-$120, so Todd’s price was just about right.  I just did not get/hear the correct price from the nurse. Oh well… a couple hundred dollars more for this cycle. Sigh…

If you had Ganirelix in your protocol, how much was a syringe and from where did you get it from?

14 comments

1 Polly { 03.23.09 at 2:33 pm }

I am using Ganirelix in my EPP/antagonist protocol, I’ve taken 3 shots of 250iu on three different nights already so far. I will start taking it again when my lead follie gets to 14mm. It cost me: $564 for 6 from Schrafts.

Ok, now about my post … I think you have nothing to worry about since you got 20 off for testing … I was really more concerned about losing ALL of my genetic material (eggs) should we only get 1-5 like we have in the past. … But I’ll be honest, now that I’m considering fresh – I want to do fresh just b/c I want to put this all behind me. There is tons of emotional value in being done – and I want to be done :-)

But you are right … it’s all in the Lord’s hands now!!

2 Jennifer { 03.23.09 at 4:06 pm }

Ohhh…that’s awful. I can’t believe the nurse gave you such a wrong price.

Thanks for returning my comment ;) It took a while for me to get the right PCOS diagnosis. I’ve had symptoms for as long as I can remember (same with my mom and sister), but I wasn’t diagnosed until we started ttc. Every month my cycle was getting longer and longer – yet there were never any lines on the darn stick. We couldn’t figure out if I was getting pg but something was always wrong or if I was going into early menopause. Finally, when I had gone 75 days without a period, I went to a new dr’s office, where the nurse practitioner ordered bloodwork to screen for PCOS and followed it up with an u/s – screwy hormones, and perfect string-of-pearls cysts. Plain as day, but somehow everyone else missed it!

Best of luck with your IVF cycle!!

3 Faith { 03.23.09 at 9:56 pm }

Yipes! That’s a big difference. I’m on an antagonist cycle, but using Cetrotide instead, plus I’m lucky enough to have drug coverage (ducking whatever you’re throwing). One of my friends has to pay out of pocket, though, and that cost seems in-line with what she’s told me. Fingers crossed. Happy ICLW!

4 Trish { 03.24.09 at 6:54 am }

The price we pay to achieve our dreams …I don’t know anything about it my IVF was standard protocols . I am shocked how much money drug compnaies and clinics make .
Good luck with your cycle

Here from ICLW…No. 103

5 Mrs. Gamgee { 03.24.09 at 10:21 pm }

Wow… I would be really tempted to hunt that nurse down and … and… I don’t know what I’d do, but I’d like to hunt her down anyway…

ICLW

6 Nic { 03.26.09 at 10:50 am }

Wow, thats a big difference in price. Sorry you had to shell out so much money. ~ICLW

7 Missy { 03.27.09 at 7:34 am }

Ugh, the cost is horrible. Even worse is the sense that once you are already shelling out big bucks, a few hundred more seems like not a big deal.

8 Jo { 03.28.09 at 3:03 pm }

Yikes! It does seem like they could lower the price for these meds — for what they charge for a tiny vial I could pay my mortgage!

Ouch.
Jo

9 Beautiful Mess { 03.28.09 at 7:39 pm }

Too bad you can’t get the nurse to reimburse you the price difference. Good luck this cycle!

10 Cathy { 03.30.09 at 3:50 pm }

I just realized I didn’t say thank you for reply-posting to my blog. Thanks for the nice comment and for the words of encouragement. You definitely know your stuff when it comes to embryo testing – I wasn’t aware that different clinics do the CGH on the different days. I’ll be sure to look into the topic further if we think we might truly entertain that route. Thanks a million!

11 Polly { 05.05.09 at 6:23 pm }

Just wondering how you’re doing … miss you, hope you’re getting good news soon … on the edge of my seat to hear mentioned good news!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Polly

12 Carrie { 06.01.09 at 10:14 am }

I ordered my Ganirelix from Alexander Twin Pharmacy and it was $348 for 4 Ganirelix pre-filled syringes (w/ Design RX discount).

13 donna { 06.07.09 at 8:51 am }

try alexander’s twin pharamacy…i paid $81.90 Ganirelix

14 Polly { 06.18.09 at 5:26 pm }

Just wondering how you’re doing … how did the oocyte testing go? Did you go to transfer yet? SO SO SO SO curious! I hope all is well!

Big hugs,